Woodsman tradition is that you never kill a porcupine.

The reason is that although plenty prickly, they are slow-moving and
loaded with fat, so if you ever become lost or stranded in the wild,
THEN you kill 'em and cook 'em up; they're easy game and you really only
need a club to do one in.

Or so I'm told. Never killed a porcupine, myself. Out of respect for the
tradition.

Lee