In Detroit we had rats like that. Kinda rats that would hide behind a
dumpster and yell "Here, kitty, kitty." Cat-sized rats. Norwegian wharf
rats, hog-fat from all the garbage overflowing the chronically
un-emptied city dumpsters.

I had been living in Motown for only a few days when I heard a "pop,
pop" coming from the alley. I go back there, and there's five or six old
boys sitting in lawn chairs, sucking on bottles of cheap wine and firing
off their Saturday night specials at the rats as they ran from dumpster
to dumpster. I guess it was a neighborhood sport.

Lee