Hi all,

        My 1983 MB 300D (174K) has been having ignition switch issues for over
a year. It would occasionally (mostly warm weather?) make a clicking noise but
not start the car.  I would keep turning the key on and off and it would
eventually start.

When it first happened I checked all the cables, replaced the starter,  battery
and the problem still existed periodically.  A suggestion was made that it
might be the ignition switch so I connected a remote starter in the glove box
bypassing the ignition switch.  That worked great for the few times it wouldn't
start, maybe once every few weeks.  I would just put the ignition switch in the
on position and press the remote starter button and I was on my way.

The last couple of days it needed the remote starter every time I attempted to
start the car (never did that before). Today it happened again and I did the
usual routine but now the car starts but the starter will not stop cranking.
The cranking stopped as soon as I put it in drive or reverse but starts again
when it is put back in neutral or park.  Does this mean it's time to finally
replace the ignition switch or could it be something else?  Is it a big job or
big money?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bob K