After I thought I had finished up the work on the SDL Timing, I ran the car a little then found it had an air leak in the fuel lines and bad glow plugs. I wanted to check the GPs before I put the intake on but SWMBO had run off with the vehicle housing my good multimeter, so I wasn't able to check them then.

So today was the day. Put in a new starter, then the GPs. Since I didn't have a ALDA shim the last time, Today I had time to try to create one out of something. I tried a copper seal from the oil drain plug for the 603. It was too small ID and OD. Wondered if I could stretch it out using a needlenose. pulling it oval, turn 90 degreed, then pull oval again. after may a dozen pulls, I rounded it out, and found it was still a little small. So a few more pulls, round it out, and it was a snug fit in the base of the ALDA. It went together nicely.

So, to recap:
First: replaced ball joints and UCAs.
Then:
Replaced AC condensor
then had to move the timing chain forward a link to retard the valve timing a tooth. That corrected the timing. Then I had to remove the IP to correct IP timing. While the IP was out, I put a new oring in the shutoff valve, tightened the cover plates
New GL-5 antifreeze.  WP and Idler are good!
Put in new Beru GPs in #3 and 4, as they are next to impossible to change with the manifold on. Found original fuel lines on the engine: prefilter to heater, and heater to Main Filter. Marked "86"
replaced fuel hoses in the engine bay.
Replaced the other 4 GPs
Replaced starter
Replaced a few hunks of vacuum hoses

So, a "simple" replacement of the condensor ended up in quite a bit of work spanning several weeks (some delayed due to weeks of cold rainy weather)

Road test today: Sounds way better. Runs smoother. no lifter click. Takes off better from a start. Does not chirp tires. Does not smoke on floored 0-65 MPH runs, so the ALDA is not over-fueling. So far, fuel consumption appears to be better. Leak from shut off fixed. Fuel leaks around IP appear to be stopped. Accelerates well at 65 MPH. It is NOT a 240D! (They have their place) So far it seems like it may get better mileage. Time will tell.

Seems like there may still be an air leak in fuel lines. Will find out tomorrow. Probably should replace the one remaining line under the hood and the hoses at the tank.

May still be able to use a little more ALDA shim.