Loren Faeth wrote:

> Russ,
>
> I've got a 240D differential.  It is buried in the garage.  I'd have to dig
> it out.  Let me know offline if you are interested.

I've got one too, from an auto W123. IIRC, all W123 240D have the same
3.69 diff. If the 300D has a 3.46, that's only 7% taller, probably not
enough to notice in driving, but enough to make you want to grab the
speedo/odo out of the donor car. I believe most of the turbos have
3.07, which might make the wife's car a bit sluggish off the line.
(but at least she's got a torque converter to make up for it. I'm
not sure, but it seems like the 1985 300Dt had a high stall torque
converter and a 2.xx diff, you do not want that in a 240d.

Mine has the plug-in axles (annular?), not the bolt-on, so
I'd have to drain the diff, remove the axles, and find something to
hold the spider gears straight in shipping. With bolt-on axles,
if the seller is willing to let you have the axles stubs, they
can ship the diff sealed with the axle stubs installed.

What's local for Russ?
I'm in Michigan.