Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:55:03 -0400
From: Tim C <bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] 300SDL almost-overheating...

I feel like a newbie asking such a question.  But I am not sure where to go.

I don't see any coolant loss.  I also don't seem to have super-high
pressures, and didn't see any bubbles, though I didn't put the pressure
meter on it yet.  I think that would eliminate head stuff (which is a #22,
relatively new)?

No AC in this car.  The electric fan does not come on at 105, but it isn't
that hot usually so I have left that alone for now.

Big fan tears up cardboard even at 80C, so I guess the viscous coupling is
okay?

Engine will peg at 85C on the interstate, mostly, and does not gain or lose
temperature at idle in the shade; it starts to heat up slowly at idle in the
sun, and heats up very quickly on low grades at low speed.  My IR
thermometer agrees with the gauge.  I have let it get to about 110C as a
test, though it has only broken 100C once on the road - but summer is just
starting.  Heater brings temperature back down at reasonable rate.

The radiator inlet and outlet are about 20C different.  I do not know the
history of the radiator but it looks fairly new.

As mentioned, no missing coolant.  No obvious air blockage.  Sudden onset
worries me, but that could just be ambient temperatures - still, I didn't
have any problem at 80F a few weeks ago.

Acid flush and a new thermostat?  What am I missing?

Thanks for any clues,
-Tim
Newbie
Yes, this means all three vehicles need something