Peter -
With as sophisticated as the rest of the airplanes are these days it seems
outrageous to me to even have to think about having a large commercial
aircraft to be put at risk by an iced up pitot tube. How about having 4 or 5
of the things with maybe two at a time out and available and the others
retracted back for safe harbor in the airframe for some "R&R". As an
alternative it would seem as simple as directing some nice warm compressor
bleed air via a nozzle appropriately aimed at the pitots. Yes I imagine the
warm air will introduce some error but it would seem that some error would
be better than no data.  With the capabilities that exist today and the
typical layers of redundancy in other areas it just seems inexcusable to
lose a airplane due to things as critical as having clogged pitots or static
ports.

Barry

Personally, I question the design philosophy here -- if the plane cannot be
flown without accurate air speed signal, you'd damned well better insure
that you NEVER lose that data stream.....

Peter