My garage/barn has wooden floors but they are fastened to heavy duty timbers/
floor joists so not quite the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 29, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
wrote:

So my son decided to drive down here from Philadelphia for the holiday weekend,
and his 84 300SD (same as mama's) has bad flex disks and/or center bearing,
something noisy and thumping.  So I have the parts, was going to change all
that stuff today, but really can't because my driveways are just dirt (sand,
actually), and my garage is full of my workshop. No way to get the car jacked
up enough, get a jack under there to lift the tranny, etc.  BAH.  Good thing is
he is moving from Philly to DC in a coupla months, will only be in Philly for
another month then traveling, so doesn't need the car anyway.  He was going to
do without while in DC (med school) so it was going to be here anyway.
Whatever, that isn't the point, but it sorta works out OK, he can fly back home.

I have a bunch of big trees around the garage and driveway, had thought about
getting a pad poured where I could work on the cars, but that would probably
damage tree roots and I don't want to do that.  So I got to thinking about
making a pad out of treated lumber, laying down sleepers of 2x6's, then laying
2xsomethings on top of them at the opposite angle, the sleepers could just lay
on the dirt, water would run through the cracks between boards, I could level
it up, etc.  It would be pretty solid, 3in thick, so could hold jack stands,
floor jacks, etc. to get the cars up when I needed to do that.  I could even
stain it nicely.  I have some sheets of this floor decking sheet stuff called
Advantech, that is tough as hell, I have been using that for under the floor
jack when I have to jack cars.  It is not treated, but holds up to weather
quite well if it gets wet while working on things -- I wouldn't leave it out
permanently -- so that would be good to
 give a nice smooth surface if I needed to roll stuff around and it would give
another 3/4" of solid surface.

Anyone see any issues with this?  I have seen old race tracks made of wood like
this, so it has some historical precedent!

--R