Luther Gulseth wrote:
Here's the rest of the story.  All 4 calipers were just rebuilt and 4 new hoses
were installed.  My indy thought the MC was suspect immediatly out of the box
(it's a rebuild from Autozone).  He bled nearly 1 whole qt of Valvoline Syn+
through the system.  The brakes all work perfectly evenly, though weak.  I just
need to verify that my vacuum system was ok before I order a new MC.  Thanks
all.
Luther

You have several Mercedes. Go to the one that doesn't have brake problems. With the engine off, press on the brake pedal and THEN start the car with your foot pressing on the pedal. The pedal should drop (maybe 1/2") and feel spongy (I don't know how to quantify spongy). That shows that there is vacuum. The other car should feel about the same IF there is about equal vacuum (and no more or no fewer leaks in the vacuum system). That has VERY little to do with how well the brakes work, but is a rough measure of how much vacuum there is.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi