Screen sharing versus screen mirroring.

Sharing makes a giant desktop (also known as an "extended desktop") out of the
two monitors, with the primary monitor having the dock and desktop icons on it.

Screen mirroring is just what it describes. You will have the same image
(desktop) on each monitor, as the new one "mirrors" the main monitor.

This is typical when you are using a projector, for example.

MacDan

Sent from my iPhone