On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Rich Thomas
<richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

> I see this free software, and down in the menus it references a Mercedes
> version under development.  A cheap reader and this software and yer in
> bidness.
>
> http://www.obdtester.com/

Sort of. You still won't be able to do everything the factory tools
can.  Fancy-pants cars like Mer-say-deez have their own connectors
besides OBDII, and a lot of important codes and data come up only on
the proprietary connector.  (Gummint requires only that
emissions-related stuff come up on OBDII.)  I've researched this quite
a bit---here's the cheapest solution I've found for late-model Benzes:
http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-software.html#EI17

Alex