Loren Faeth wrote:
Thanks Dr Booth. I also did find the 47-100 pdf on my cd, but it was not indexed.

I pulled both hoses from the bottom of the tank. Unfortunately, the "out" line was black inside, indicating the presence of algae. As much as I drive the car, the algae didn't grow there, so it was pumped in.

After removing the rubber big grommet, # 71 on the 47-100, I could see the big nut to remove the screen. I am not sure I have a wrench that will fit it. It looks like it is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4, and a 3/4 inc drive socket that big won't fit in there, above the differential. My 12" adjustable won't go that big. It looks like a job for an offset box wrench, but I don't have one that big. Hmmmmm. I will go out and try what i have, but it looks like i may need to buy or build a wrench of some form.

Here's how I did it, using a MB special tool (that would be My Bench):

Tools Needed:
1. Large pair of channel locks
2. Large crescent wrench
3. One 6 x 4 Griot's Garage fuel tank rag (yeah, right)

Proceed:

Open the channel locks to the right general size of the screen's "bolt
head".  Mount the bolt head perpendicularly with the channel locks.  Take a
large crescent wrench and tighten it down on the nice, flat surface of the
lower jaw of the channel locks.  You now have a custom-made socket wrench
for fuel tank screen removal -- works great.  However, not recommended for
use on bolts under severe torque (severe meaning anything much more than the
fuel tank screen).

Install in reverse order.

That's it!

Richard

Here is Richard Easley's solution:

Here's how I did it, using a MB special tool (that would be My Bench):

Tools Needed:
1. Large pair of channel locks
2. Large crescent wrench
3. One 6 x 4 Griot's Garage fuel tank rag (yeah, right)

Proceed:

Open the channel locks to the right general size of the screen's "bolt
head".  Mount the bolt head perpendicularly with the channel locks.  Take a
large crescent wrench and tighten it down on the nice, flat surface of the
lower jaw of the channel locks.  You now have a custom-made socket wrench
for fuel tank screen removal -- works great.  However, not recommended for
use on bolts under severe torque (severe meaning anything much more than the
fuel tank screen).

Install in reverse order.

That's it!

Richard

Several points. If you haven't removed water from your fuel several times a year, then it's probably growing. Algae lives/grows in water and eats fuel.

While you can often CLEAN the screen, Mercedes just replaces one that's occluded - they don't even TALK about cleaning it.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi