pity about the M1 not showing diesel ratings; i see their website still shows it as being 'C' rated, but we know how often websites are out-of-date,...

i don't see it mentioned here very often, but if you don't mind paying for good oil, what about Redline? i've had good luck with Redline products in general (including in a turbocharged rotary race car that used to rapidly coke every other oil we tried), and they have a 15W40 specifically for Diesel they claim is MB 228.3 rated.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=7&pcid=21

cheers!

On 01/Jul/11 11:13, Curt Raymond wrote:
#2 M1 15w50 is no longer diesel rated, SM only. I had an older bottle that was
CF that was probably bought last year (post facelift, so recent). I dunno if
the manufacturer has to continuously pay for certification and they decided
they weren't selling enough to diesel owners or what but I'll run a short
change on this one (I usually go 7,000 on the 240D, I'll go down to 5 or so)
and switch back to 5w40 which I hope still has a C certification, if not it
maybe be Amsoil although my local Car Quest has Royal Purple...

-Curt