No.  That does not have to be true.  My Chevy crew cab with 6.2 gets over
20mpg empty and weighs 6600 pounds.  Search google for high mpg diesel
trucks, there are some several hundred horsepower trucks getting crazy high
mpg when driven conservatively.  I will try to find the links for some of
them.

Mike