On 11/07/2011 3:57 PM, Donald Snook wrote:
Phillip wrote: "The 4L60 is the same thing as a 700R4.  When it became a 4L60E
the TV cable (mechanical) went away an the whole thing became
electronically controlled - but the mechanical parts are still
the same as the late 700R4."

That's not entirely accurate.  You are probably right that the last year for
the 700R4 and the first year for the 4L60 are the same. So, my preference for
the 4L60 wouldn't necessarily matter.  But, to say that 700R4 and 4L60 are the
same is not accurate.  The 700R4 was put in LOTS of vehicles in the early 80's.
 By 1989, it was MUCH difference than the early 700R4 transmissions.  Many of
the hard parts are the same or similar but a lot of things are different.  We
used to have lots of trouble with the transmissions in the Oldsmobiles, but
beginning in 1988-1990, transmission problems just went away for the mid size
cars.

Donald H. Snook
I'm with Donald on this one. The 700R4 had lots of issues. The 4L60 may be based upon the 700R4 but is much better. The 700R4 can be rebuilt by someone who knows the things it needs to be stronger but from the factory, it had some real issues.

Randy who had a Suburban with a troublesome 700R4