Good times, enjoying a beautiful country while driving something new and
different. last trip to Italy we had a BMW diesel wagon, my nephew-in-law
drives an Alfa Romeo diesel sedan.

We won't see anything like those until the market demands it.

Max

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

Did a little road trip around Spain and Portugal the last few days.
Rented a Peugeot 508 diesel wagon (had 8km on it when Avis gave it to
me) 6spd which was a very nice car and quite roomy. Very nice nav
system and graphics built in (I took a Tomtom with Iberian maps, but
ended up relying on the Spanish-speaking nav system we called
"Peugie"). 4 people and lots of luggage. 2 tanks of fuel in about 9
days of driving, nearly a 1000mi I think, could have been more I will
have to look at the receipt. Most every car I saw was a diesel,
including lots of Benzes of all sizes from A to S, including some very
nice CLS320CDIs and S320CDIs (drool!). Maybe 15% were gassers. Lots of
beemers and jap cars too, all diesels. Diesel fuel was the cheapest at
about e1.40/ltr give or take, gas another 10-20cents more. Filling the
tank was over e70 (ouch). I got pretty good at the manual tranny in
some VERY challenging streets in the VERY old hill towns but at one
point the clutch was stinking pretty badly (FIIAR).

I still wonder why we can't get all these great cars here in the US --
the wagon was getting about 40mpg on the road (if my calculations were
close) at 120kph on the Autovia freeways. I want one of those big
diesel Benzes.

---R