My wife's motorcycle hasn't been out of the garage this year, the starter was
acting poorly, it would disengage as it cranked, not good and it scared the
crap out of her.

If you've never seen one motorcycle starters are interesting, and this one
especially because it's chain drive. Its got a non-reversing (my term, I don't
know the proper one) rig so it can't be driven by the crankshaft. I did some
research and discovered that the problem I was having is quite common and a
relatively cheap (~$20) kit replaces it. The kit has 3 springs, 3 pusher rod
things and 3 cylinders. The spring pushes the pusher rod which pushes the
cylinders against the starter's secondary gear's shaft (the on the other end of
the before mentioned chain drive) when the engine is running the cylinders are
pushed away from the shaft and the starter can't push the engine anymore. Quite
a clever system and it prevents running the starter against the engine.

The biggest 2 issues I had in the whole job is that 1, the last person into
that part of the engine had goobered the gasket back on with RTV and 2 I
couldn't get the flywheel off without a special puller ($10)...

So finally tonight I had cleaned all the nasty gasket and RTV off and used the
puller to remove the flywheel. I installed the starter kit and proved it works
(woot!), then put a SMALL smear of grey RTV (my favorite) on the engine, then
put in the gasket. Interestingly its steel, never seen that before but its a
Kawasaki factory part. Then another small smear of RTV and the outer housing.
Tomorrow I'll run it and see if it leaks.
Normally I wouldn't use RTV but I did this job on my Honda last year and never
could get it leak free without RTV. This chamber is oil filled (at least part
filled) when the engine is running, I guess theres some pressure too...

Anyway, not MB but quite satisfying.

-Curt