Hi Donald,

I would use Premium fuel only and Mid Grade in a pinch.
Sure the computer will compensate for the lower octane but fuel mileage and performance WILL suffer.
If you want to ask an expert  go here:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/submit-question
Ask Louis the question he will give you the correct skinny on it.
Or you can call him tomorrow @ 225-499-9526 between 10 and 11 AM CDT
www.wjbo.com on the net to hear his radio show.
I've known Louis for 20+ years and believe me he knows his stuff.
But he doesn't work on Merc's or Bimmers he sends them to my Indie.

Russ W.
84 300D
83 240D x2