On 22/07/2011 2:44 PM, Dieselhead wrote:

Regular here is 89 octane, and all the MB gassers I ever put it in are just fine. Most other states have 87 as regular, and that has worked just fine too. Carbureted or injected.

Of course it does contain 10% pure corn likker, so that causes your chrome plated Relly to melt down, but I find the car runs just fine without it. It causes no cosmetic or operational damage when it melts. Therefore it could be called a useless appendage.

Anyone ever actually compare regular vs premium?
I have heard people say for a long time, that some vehicles will get much better fuel economy running premium fuel. They claim that the increased mileage offsets the cost of higher priced fuel. I knew a fellow who drove a big old Caddie that swore his fuel mileage dropped dramatically when he used regular fuel.

I have never tried to document any difference personally.
I have always run the lowest octane that seemed to behave. My old Suburban used to ping pretty bad on regular so we ran midgrade for a long while.

I wonder if one might find that a newer MB designed to run on premium fuel might suffer a significant drop in fuel economy if the computer adjusted things like timing to avoid knock.

Randy