Actually, from what I've seen, you're both partially correct:

The president of Wood's Hole Oceanographic Institute wrote about how a
global warming cycle (human induced or not) will bring about a global
cooling cycle due to salinity changes that alter the global oceanic
conveyor. This is the actual science that the movie The Day After
Tomorrow was based upon.

http://www.whoi.edu/administration/president/news_030127.htm

Tim
1982 300TD Moby