On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:43 AM, andrew strasfogel
<astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those 16 valve Baby Benzes used to be considered highly desirable and sold
> at a premium.  Has the world moved on. or is this a good opportunity for a
> collector?

You talking about the two-tone horror in the "Jamie's next project" thread?

Yeah, they are probably about as cheap as they are going to get right
now, and a good opportunity.  Compare to its contemporary competitor,
the E30 chassis BMW M3, which was just an old car ten years ago and
now is a hot ticket.

All those '80s factory hot rods are getting rare, and eventually they
will be so rare that no matter what the condition they will be worth
saving.  Every time I read an article about the early '80s Audi Turbo
Quattro coupe (aka ur-Quattro) I kick myself for not buying one I saw
on a used car lot for $5K about 10 years ago.  Had obviously been run
hard and put away wet---it was only running on four cylinders, and the
paint job was half original white and half rattlecan flat black---but
it still would have been a good buy.