On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Max Dillon <meadedil...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Yes, I'm quite sure. After two fills of M1 ATF, it shifts very nicely.

I'm baffled.  OK, time for a poll.  I know a half-dozen of the regular
posters and any number of lurkers have '87 300Ds and 300DTs.  Whose
cars start in first, and whose in second?

Flooring it from a stop is hard to "read" since the car will be
accelerating a lot harder.  The best way to tell is the 2-3-2 trick.
At a stop, from D, move the shifter all the way back into the 2
position, wait for it to engage, put it in 3, wait, then put it back
into 2.  This forces the transmission into first gear where it will
stay until you move the shifter.  Accelerate, and notice that the car
is far more sensitive to the pedal than usual, because you're starting
off in first (assuming you normally start in second).   When you feel
like it, move the shifter quickly from 2 to 3 and then back to 2
again.  The transmission will upshift to second and again stay there
until you move the lever. (Repeat process whenever you want to hear
that nice six-cylinder high-RPM roar.)

Alex