On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> New battery -- clamps are clean and TIGHT?  Ground wire knocked loose
> (or corroded while sitting) at the chassis connection?

Clamps and ground wire look good.  As someone else wondered---it is
indeed a Group 49, or whatever the tall, long one is that just barely
fits in the tray.

I have high hopes that the short cranking/quick run-down problem is
merely that, as Curt suggested, the battery was never fully charged.
It's been on the Battery Tender for 24 hours now and the red light is
still on, indicating it's not anywhere near a full charge.  The "dumb"
Schumacher trickle charger I had it on before indicated a full charge
after just 12 hours.  I'm going to resist the urge to not try to start
it for another 24 hours, longer if the solid green light on the
Battery Tender isn't on yet.

> Ran when parked -- Rodents chewing on the wiring while sitting?

Possibly, but I am crossing my fingers that's not the case.  Mice got
into the interior, built a couple of nests, and left their little
calling cards all over.  The seats are a total loss, impossible to get
the smell out of them.  I steam-cleaned the carpets, wiped down the
door panels, and replaced the seats with the ones from my parts car
(lesson: leave a window down or a door ajar on any car you don't want
to have a mouse problem in, so that the barn cats can get in).  But
there was no sign that the mice had been under the hood.  And I
inspected the wiring to the seat motors on the old seats very closely
and saw no signs of damage, despite the fact that one of the nests was
right under the passenger seat.  I hope that means these mice had no
taste for wiring.

Alex