I also think your battery is not fully charged.

Max

Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some progress!

After 48 hours on the Battery Tender the battery (a new Group 49 from
NAPA, you may recall) was finally fully charged. I was able to crank
for nearly a minute before the starter audibly slowed down. No
cooking-electronics smell this time.

I stopped cranking to reglow every twenty seconds or so, as Peter suggested.

When I first turned the key after the first glow cycle, the car seemed
to start and run perfectly for a moment---just long enough for me to
think "Hey, it's fixed!"---then went back to the pattern it was
showing before, of mostly just cranking and occasionally firing on one
or two cylinders. Significance?

There was no appreciable smoke from the exhaust and only a little
smell of mixed raw diesel and Diesel Purge.

I guess all this means I can rule out electrical problems, and
concentrate on fuel delivery. Peter said a few messages back:
You can also check for air leaks by removing the return
line from the steel line and putting it in a can partially
filled with fuel and have someone crank the engine --
if you get lots of bubbles, you have an air leak on the
suction side.
I'll round up a helper and do that once the battery is charged up again.

Comments? Particularly on the weird "start and then fail" behavior?

Alex