Steering was extremely loose, is this the infamous
left-hand-threaded steering box bolt that needs to be tightened?

Could be any number of things, including that.  Probably bad
tie rods and the like.

The shifter had none of that
notchy feel that I associate with German cars, but was really loose
and sloppy---the proverbial broomstick in a barrel of rocks.

Probably the plastic bushing is shot.

Combined
with the feeling of barely adequate torque and no power, it was more
than a little like driving a VW microbus.

Weird, my 200D (115) feels just the opposite.

way!"), and he said that although he was afraid to try it "everyone
says you should burn the clutch when starting out" on a 240D... by
which he meant that on every takeoff you should floor the accelerator,
then at redline gradually let out the clutch to accelerate, slipping
it all the way like a motorcycle.

Just the opposite of what I do.  I give it fuel, and then drop the
clutch fairly rapidly so that by the time I'm off it the car is
moving at just above idle speed.  Then punch it.

My wife's clutch technique is more like what he described, and
makes me cringe.

-- Jim