On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:39:02 -0400 Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
wrote:

> Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Unless you want to keep the old one as a spare, I thought the
> > canonical way was just to drill a big hole through it.
>
> I thought this would be similar to running without a thermostat?

Yes, it would be.

Mercedes thermostats are double-acting valves: they open up one passage
(the one to the radiator) and close the other (the one that bypasses the
radiator).

If you don't do both, circulation will not flow correctly.

Wedging open a thermostat is the only correct way to do it. I think Jim
Cathey was the one who use a shell casing.

Craig