Constantine N. Polites wrote:
I have a wierd noise in the of the motor, it appears to be comming from the belt tensioner ( not the chain tensioner). I changed the fan and clutch, the tensioner pulley, and the shock absorber. The shock absorber is constantly in motion an becomes very hot, the new one diminished the noise, but still got hot. Using a mechanics stethascope I could only find an increase in sound on the area of the tensioner-not the motor itself. I have not yet checked the tensioner for a possible loose socket head bolt.(100nm).

Flaw in any of the belt driven accessories (sufficient for one of them to bind) or even a bad idler wheel bearing can result in the tensioner arm jittering and if it jitters, the shock will quickly wear out. This is NOT likely to be caused by the socket head bolt - if it becomes loose, the arm will cock and the idler will NOT be aliggned with the belt (will be several degrees off). This seldom causes the arm to jitter or advance shock failure.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi