Greg Fiorentino wrote:
I don't think I ever got mine over 110.  Yeah, it was a metallic paint.
Very pretty.  Unfortunately we lived near the beach, and it was impossible
to keep up against the salt air.

Thanks for the reminder. I think the right shock tower went in mine, right before the trunk floor. In 1977, all sunroof cars, and I believe all EMS, were assembled in Belgium. All Belgian 99s were rust buckets. I always wondered if they produced the unibodies in Sweden and shipped them bare metal over sea to Belgium for painting, undercoating and assembly. Whatever the deal was, the rust was happening underneath all that wonderful Saab rustproofing and you didn't know about it until something fell through the trunk floor. I had to quit driving mine when the rust in the trunk took out a gas tank strap attachment point. I straddled a woodchuck, heard a sort of bonging sound, looked in the mirror and saw the chuck stand up, wobble, and keel over. When I got home I looked under the car to figure out what hit him, and one side of my gas tank was hanging low. I bought a Swedish 1975 donor body but never transferred the EMS parts to it.