I had this happen to me the other day. Key would still open the trunk
directly, but placing lock in "central lock" mode would not open trunk.  A
couple days later my door locks stop working too. So, at least in my case,
there appears to be a vacuum leak. Perhaps a slow leak is causing a similar
problem here.

Oddly enough, some how the filler door appears stuck in "unlocked" mode.
Even just before the door locks stopped working. I think I really need to
find someone that has a proper vacuum hose diagram, because I think I have
an issue :)

EdB

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > relng...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > > ...The trunk would not open, and the key slot was
> > > horizontal...
> > >
> > Horizontal being the locked position. By a key.
>
> No, not on a W123 trunk.
>
> When vertical, the key can be removed and is in
> locked-and-only-the-key-will-unlock mode.
>
> Horizontal, the key can be removed and is in
> lock-and-unlock-at-the-whim-of-the-vacuum-system mode.
>
> Turned 45 degrees counterclockwise from horizontal is
> unlock-when-the-vacuum-says-lock mode.  The key cannot be
> removed and the position is spring-loaded to return to
> horizontal.
>
> At least it's that way on all of my cars.
>
> --  Philip

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*