After market cats have to pass the same standard as OEM in order to be sold,
so you should be good in that regard.

Was your car a California car?  The emissions standards for California were
much higher much sooner than everywhere else.  If it was, and if it's "no
longer in california.."  hmmm...
check with your local DMV test sight on that.. might not have to have one.
Worth looking into. [ask the right question to get the right answer at
DMV... ie.. is a cat required on this model, in this state?]

Grant...