You may get longer battery life from the 1 GB stick.. if it cuts down on
paging to disk.

A newer hard drive (or SSD) will improve performance of disk intensive
operations such as booting, etc.

I noticed an improvement when upgrading my MBP from a 160GB 7200RPM drive to
a 500GB 7200RPM drive.

Haven't gone the SSD route yet - Not enough storage space.

Brian