Read about this, I THINK, in Car and Driver - had a pic of the fish and the car
(or a drawing of the car).

  Reminds me of Hitler's comment that a car should take it's inspiration  from
nature...it should have the shape of a Junebug...and we know the  story of that
one.

  Chris (thinking a 66mpg diesel would be nifty)

Jeff Zedic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Thought the list might enjoy this
story....no pics of the car though..

The Times  November 25, 2005

Mercedes goes back to nature for dynamic inspiration
By Stuart Birch
Our correspondent offers a fishy tale from Germany about the one that
didn’t get away
STORYTELLING fishermen across the world, prepare to hang up your hooks
and rods because you will never top this one. The latest Mercedes-Benz
concept car was caught swimming in a coral reef. That is a slight
exaggeration, but then fishy stories always are. However, Mercedes’s
extraordinary new Bionic Car really does owe its shape and much of its
strength to a fish; not a streamlined shark or an elegant ray, but the
chunky boxfish.

Bionics is all about combining biology with technology, so on one quiet
Friday afternoon, Mercedes researchers were thumbing through the Wonder
Book of Funny Fish when, on page 94, they saw the boxfish. At once they
realised that within its cubic frame was the secret of tomorrow’s car.

*
Click here to find out more!
The tropical boxfish may not look the sleekest or sexiest of piscatorial
creatures, but the Mercedes team knew better. In fact, the boxfish is
extremely hydrodynamically efficient and that meant it would be
aerodynamically efficient, too, they decided — just what was needed for
a car.

Unlikely though it may seem, they also discovered that its rectangular
anatomy was almost identical to the cross-section of a car’s body and,
because it has to cope with a tough natural environment — jagged coral
and predators attacking without warning — it had a lot more in common
with cars. It is able to protect its body in collisions, withstand high
pressures, move with low energy consumption but plenty of power when
needed and has good manoeuvrability. It also has a rigid skin with
interlinked hexagonal plates to give maximum strength for minimal weight.

Transferred to the external panels of a car door, this system produces a
honeycomb pattern, with up to 40 per cent more rigidity. Apply it to an
entire car and weight could be cut by 30 per cent, yet crash safety and
driving dynamics would still be excellent: nature had NCAP safety tests
sussed aeons before the modern car industry. “There you are,” the
Mercedes team chorused, “it’s a fish that thinks it ’s a car. It just
needs four wheels.”

So they went ahead and built the boxfish car, although the marketing
people decided that Bionic Car sounded better. A four-seat hatchback
with a diesel engine and chassis from the Mercedes A-Class, it drives
like a conventional car. It is roomy, with a huge glass windscreen
extending into the roof. It has lively performance, a top speed of about
120mph and average fuel consumption of almost 66 miles to the gallon.

Like some cars, though, the boxfish has a bit of an antisocial emission
problem, being able to eject a toxin sufficiently powerful to kill some
fish. Not wishing to emulate that, Mercedes has given the Bionic Car a
super-clean exhaust system, using a new fluid called AdBlue, to cut by
about 80 per cent the nitrogen oxides produced by the diesel engine.

Although it is not as slippery as the boxfish, the Bionic Car is
remarkably aerodynamic — about a fifth better than the slipperiest
production cars. The problem, though, is that no matter how much you may
like fish, the efficient, clean-living concept car does look odd. And
clever though its design may be, will many people really want to buy a
fish on wheels?

Professor Herbert Kohler, the director of vehicle body and drive
research at Mercedes’s parent company, DaimlerChrysler, believes that
aerodynamics will remain an essential element of design, despite the
slowing effect of traffic densities and speed cameras. But styling will
still be affected, he said, so car buyers may have to change their
attitudes and accept what today may be seen as unusual or even weird —
such as the Bionic Car.

Across Germany from Mercedes’s Stuttgart headquarters, Volkswagen are
also bracing themselves for an outbreak of cars that swap pretty for
fishy. Professor Wilfried Bockelmann, Volkswagen’s director of research,
said: “At high speeds, aerodynamic efficiency is important, but on
average, speeds are becoming lower and lower due to regulations and
traffic density and I foresee more speed limits.

Styling may also be affected by the need to design in pedestrian safety.
As a result, cars may not be as attractive — as elegant — as they are
today.”

Which means that the not quite so elegant boxfish could be about to have
its day, not in the ocean, but on the stormy seas of the world’s car
markets. It might not be pretty, but it seems to work and that could
mean that traditional car design, thanks to the humble boxfish, has had
its chips.

INTELLIGENT ECONOMY DRIVE

FISH do not provide the only inspiration for designers searching for
solutions. With environmentalists getting in a lather over motorists who
drive too fast and, therefore, use more fuel, Volkswagen have shown that
economy and speed can go together.

Volkswagen reckons that its EcoRacer can sprint from standstill to 62mph
in 6.3sec and on to a top speed of 143mph yet still return more than 80
miles to the gallon. The car has a 1.5-litre advanced technology diesel
engine, producing about 140 horsepower, centrally mounted in a
carbon-fibre body. The prototype is to serve as a technology test bed.
No details yet about possible production — but something like it is
possible.

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"