Cancer treatment progress is incremental, fractions of a percent each year in survival rates/times. There is not likely ever to be "a cure" for cancer -- there are many types with many manifestations. There have been many advances but progress is slow and steady with a lot of amazing things on the horizon.

Cancer is becoming more prevalent because people are not dying of heart disease, diabetes, and other treatable diseases that killed people in the past before they developed cancers. There might be other environmental factors as well, but people are generally healthier and longer-lived than ever. There are some genetic factors, racial disparities, and other aspects related to lifestyle (hepatitis C leads to liver cancer, a very fast growing class of diseases, we know about smoking, chemical exposure, etc.).

Jobs had a transplant a year or two ago (liver?I forget) which was somewhat controversial.

Wifey is the expert in the family, she was following the Jobs situation to some extent as it fits in her area of expertise (liver/pancreas). http://www.canliv.org/Home.aspx

--R