My struts failed at about 200k, and the boots had been shredded for some time.

Thanks for taking the initiative and getting an answer for us. Being
designed to work without a boot explains why mine haven't failed yet -
they've had torn, split boots since I got both cars, but don't seem to have
suffered any ill effects so far. I figured that at 275k and 350k miles that
I'd be replacing them soon anyway - but not so (yet).