worn pads on a thin rotor result in the backing plate on the pad jamming on the anit-rattle spring, which does not compress. This cocks the pistons, causing them to lock in place instead of retracting (and they DO retract on the square seal), causing dragging brakes and eventually no rear brakes at all and damaged calipers.

Replace them if in doubt -- last time I bought some they were all of $27 each.

Peter