-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David Brodbeck
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:19 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT GM bashing

R A Bennell wrote:
> I had a 74 Vega brand new. The sheetmetal was recycled and rusted and it
was
> noisy but it was a cheap fuel efficient car and served me well for the
> roughly 3 years that I drove it. I'm in Canada so the prices may be out of
> whack for you but I paid $2850 for it brand new and got $1450 on a trade
for
> a 77 Mercury 3 years later. Depreciation of less than $500 per year on a
new
> car is not bad.

They had a *terrible* reputation in the U.S, and not just for rusting.
They supposedly used so much oil that GM did a recall to link the
ignition to the oil pressure sender, so the engine would shut off if you
ran the car out of oil.  My dad bought one new and had a really hard
time getting rid of it -- car lots would only deal with him if he
promised to drive the Vega back off the lot instead of trading it in.