Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
speaking of GM products from the 80's thru early 90's, especially the front wheel drive cars, there is this dude I know locally that has a MANY FWD GM cars, buick etc. He takes the time to swap trannies on them, replace cracked heads, whatever. I was telling him just today that he is the only guy I know that would bother, anybody else would call the pick a part man to come get them.

He wasn't the only one who saw opportunity, though. For a long time those were the most stolen cars in the country. The reason? They were all basically the same car, and most of the parts interchanged, so there was a huge used parts market available to anyone who ran a chop shop. With all those cars on the road, who was going to suspect the origins of a cheap, used fender for an '86 Buick? Also, at the time, GM was making ignition switch and steering column assemblies that were easy to "pop."