Zeitgeist wrote:
My OM603 has just now started to smoke (blue) so much so, that I think
I'll be parking her for some time.  This started with excessive
smoking at startup, then progressed to a little puff of blue upon
acceleration and is now emitting a minor cloud on acceleration and at
idle.  Methinks valve stem seals, a headgasket and turbo seals are in
order...or, I have a bent rod, or the head is toasty, or all of the
above.

I'd check the compression of #1 to see if the seal between the the cylinder and the oil passage has failed.

Valve stem/seal problems producing the symptoms you describe are VERY rare in OM60x engines even after 300-400kmi of service. Turbo seal failures are also rather rare. 603.96 engines almost NEVER have shown up with bent rods (I've heard of one or two).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi