Android has more malware than IOS (iPhone/iPad) apps because it is more
open.  Apple "curates" the apps that can be sold in the App Store and if
they don't follow Apple's programming standards they are not allowed.  I
would assume this includes a check for any kind of malicious activity,
but that sort of thing can be hidden pretty well by a smart programmer.
I imagine we will see malware on IOS eventually.

That said, if you only use mainstream apps from well-known publishers,
you are going to be safer than if you download every "ooohh, that's
cool" game that catches your eye.

Allan

Michael Canfield <slozuk...@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyone?
>
> Mike
> On Dec 3, 2011 5:35 PM, "Michael Canfield" <slozuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am no computer genius so I have no real clue here.  What I have been
>> told is that Android doesn't need anti virus software for the same reasons
>> as a Mac.  Is this true and what are those reasons?
>>   I use my Android every day, all day for my parts sales and I have no
>> problems.  It is my only connection with the internet as it will tether the
>> pc via usb.  With the PC I keep the firewall on and run Malwarebytes and
>> Spywareblaster every now and then.  With the Mac I just don't seem to have
>> to worry about it.
>>
>> Mike

1983 300D
1979 300SD