Help me understand why a never-used tire has a shorter shelf life than one in
active service.

   "Tire makers in Britain have just issued a warning to consumers. Replace
tires that are more than ten years old, even if the tread's not worn.
    And for a tire that hasn't been used, like a spare, replace it after six
years."

Does this mean that the Continental brand never-used spare I carried around in
the trunk for so many years would not have been safe to use after 1988? (A few
years after the turn of the century, I accidentally
punctured it whilst installing a trailer hitch. I might possibly owe my safety
to that mistake.) I wonder how many  M-B's are still carrying
quarter-century-old unused spare tires in their trunks? Are they collectible,
like the old first aid kits? PLEASE don't anybody start a thread on the shelf
life of those first aid kits.

Jerry
82 240 D
unsafe spare after 1988