I need to replace a rear trailing arm on my '82 300D. I've got a new one from OkiePartz ready to go in, but I'm curious about the removal of the old one. The manual tells me I need to pull the entire rear axle assembly, but my own inspection says this is unnecessary, correct? The other point that really has me wondering is rear spring removal. I'm told that a spring compressor is not required for this. Can I safely remove the spring after loosening the bolts at the pivot points on the trailing arm and slowly lowering the arm under a floor jack? Again, it looks like it, but given the amount of energy stored in these things, I think I'm better off not finding out the hard way.

For those wondering why I would want to do such a thing, I had a rather nasty surprise on the way home from work the other day: http://thomas.savage.org/notgood.jpg

Thanks,
Tom