The black crud is a combination of engine oil and soot from the EGR. Since we use only Mobil 1 in all our diesels, my brother and I no longer have problems with the stuff accumulating -- the all had gobs of gunk when we got them, but after switching to Mobil 1 and cleaning, the problem is gone.

The gunk accumulates because dino oils will coke (turn to hard slag) at the temperatures encountered in the intake just down from the EGR port and the valve stems.

I'd not worry about it other than to scrape out what you can get from the intake manifold and use synthetic oil if you do not. Have a care not to let a glob go out the pipe, as I suspect this is one way those engines get bent rods.

With synthetic oil, the soot slowly washes down with the blowby and does not accumulate.

Peter