Probably the most important thing is a properly working fuel distributor. Parts are getting VERY expensive.

Next is suspension -- that car used the old design suspension links and they are likely dead if not replaced fairly recently. Not a huge job, but they drive horribly until you get them all in. I need to finish mine before it snows, the rear end is really squirrely. Very nice handling when they are intact.

Front suspension ditto -- plan on ball joints if not done recently, they are likely dead of old age. Upper strut mounts too, see if they are not. Front swaybar bushing shrink and rattle, also the frame mounts are a joke and break all the time if you have to drive on rough pavement.

None of this is horribly difficult or expensive to do, but you do want to factor it in.

ACC is a problem, quite a few of these cars have failed AC evaporators, and that job is pure hell. Not really difficult, but the rate book calls for 16 hours to do it. Blower replacement is common, and a pain although you can get to it from the front. Pushbutton units and sensors fail, resulting in erratic operation. I've not successfully rebuilt a unit yet, although I may try since the TE is getting really out of spec.

Early M013s suffered from excessive valve guide wear and failed cam lobes, so be aware of that. Also known for a leak and the front camshaft cover seal and weak head gaskets. Easy to fix, but again you need to consider in the price. Not cheap for a shop.

If it's not been done, you will need to replace the idle control valve hoses and the boot between throttle body and air flow sensor horn -- these cause terrible running and throttle response problems. A pain to do. Leaking injector seals are an issue, and leaks at the sleeve for the injectors, often overlooked, also cause rough idle and performance problems.

If it runs well and drives nicely, it's a great car (my brother and I have four between us, plus a W126).

Peter