It takes (mostly) parents instilling an interest in learning for a child to become educated. This begins when the child is an infant, by reading and talking to the child so s/he can learn language and all that implies. Then books, lots of books. By the time children reach the "education" system it is too late to do much in the way of "educating" them, you might be able to "teach" them something but that is not preparing them to learn on their own and to become truly "educated." There is a vast difference between teaching and educating, bu the schools can do neither well if the parents have not prepared the children for the experience.

Unfortunately this has a disparate effect on certain segments of society wherein having a child or 3 or 5 with no father in the household, and a complete lack of any sort of effective parenting, creates yet another generation of ineducable children, who will become just like their "parents." It is unfortunate that this is now most prevalent in the black population (70% children born to single parent, no father in the picture) but applies equally to a lower socioeconomic white demographic though not as prevalent. The culture of single parents, low expectations, no job opportunities, poor education/teaching, attitude toward school, etc. has been aided and abetted by our tax money for at least 2 generations now, and the result is apparent in crime, etc. and a continuing drain on society.

No amount of money is going to fix a cultural problem.

--R