I purchased my Mac in October 2007 and have never reinstalled the OS.  I've
upgraded the OS a few times, and copied it to a new hard drive when I
upgraded to a larger one, but never reinstalled :-)  The laptop was thinner
and lighter (especially the power supply) than the 17" Dell I was issued at
the time.  I was fortunate to work for a company that let me use my
personal laptop for work and they let me return the Dell.  It saved them
money and saved me the headaches of dealing with Windows on a regular
basis.  :-)

Brian