Jim Cathey wrote:
The cheapest shipping I've seen with any of them is $20.

Makes that $12 used car battery in the trunk awfully attractive!

The advantage of the jump packs is they're usually sealed, so they won't spill acid in your trunk.

My experience with them is they work pretty well for jumping a car with a weak battery, but not too well if the main battery is completely flat. I once tried to jump a 302 cid Ford V-8 with one, after I had accidentally left the dome light on for a solid week. The battery was dead as a doornail, of course. All hooking up the jump pack did was give me two dead batteries. ;)