So is there any quick and easy way to tell by looking at the engine if it was a MB replacment engine if a person was out looking to buy one?

Marshall Booth wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I know others have said a new MB crate engine is the only way to go -- my question is how long would the original, damaged engine last?

Some engines failed before 50kmi. Most of those were in city driven cars. The majority of the failures occurred before the cars reached 150kmi. A very few between 150-300kmi. There are still a few thousand original engines still running - many running well and some with well over 250-300kmi of service. These are almost all cars that see little except highway miles - are driven many hundreds of miles for every cold start and see little short hop mileage.

NO reliable way to tell how long an engine will last (unless your crystal ball is a lot better than mine), BUT once accelerated oil consumption is noted (more than about a qt in 2kmi) it's rare for the engine to last even a year - consumption just keeps going higher and higher! Rarely, a rod will fail (snap and go thru the side of the block) before oil consumption becomes excessive, but that accounts for only a tiny fraction (1-2%) of the failures I've had reported.

Marshall

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,