On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM, Dan Penoff <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> .... for whoever did this:
>
> http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem;PdsSession=f613d6671340a5aa63325d02ffffe96a?itemId=250972430193&cmd=VIDESC

You know what I always wonder with this type of conversion?  How does
the climate control work?

People always say a swap of an SBC or other American engine into
another car has been "done right," but what does that mean, exactly?
On a Mercedes you'd have to plumb the cooling system of the new engine
into the monovalve, weird thermostat, and heater core.  You'd also
have to make sure that the Klima relay  was still getting the signals
it expected from forward of the firewall to activate the compressor
clutch---refrigerant temp and pressure, etc.  Maybe you just have to
expect to do without functioning A/C.  Or maybe the V-8 fits in a
small enough space that there is room for the old refrigerant lines,
condenser, etc. to stay where they were?  But then you'd probably have
to mate the old radiator and fan clutch to the new engine.  None of
these are insoluble problems, but I wonder if Joe Shade-tree with a
dead 300DT and a 1970s 351 Windsor motor lying around managed to solve
them, or even tried.

Alex