Here's an update on my "clicking" issue with my 87 300D.

Stage 1: Clicking noises from behind glovebox occasionally after a cold
start. Disappear after 5-10 minutes.

Stage 2: Clicking noises now occur after every single cold start, but still
disappear after 5-10 minutes.

Stage 3: Clicking noises now toggle the blower on and off every second or
two. The recirculate light flashes rhythmically with the blower motor
switching on and off. Symptoms disappear after 5-10 minutes and  ACC
operates normally.

Stage 4: No clicking noises at cold start. ACC unit does nothing, but the
blower motor fuse is OK. As the car warms up, hot air blows from the side
and defrost vents. ACC unit does nothing to regulate temperature or air
flow, which seems to increase with speed (blows REALLY hard and hot on the
highway).

Stage 5: One used aux water pump from Pick-n-pull and $5 later, all above
symptoms are gone, ACC operates normally, and I can sleep at night.

-Aaron
1987 300D
1987 300TD