When you do a complete reinstall, install onto a new HD. You won't know which
program disks and activation codes you are missing until you need them. At
least then you can mount the old HD as the second disk and copy stuff over and
try to get things working again if it's worth the effort.

In the windows world you can boot into the recovery console and run a chkdsk,
then do a repair installation if need be. If you are lucky that will preserve
installed programs and data. The Repair wipes out all service packs and
hotfixes. It's not a quick solution, does not always work, and if it does work
a lot of garbage gets carried over from the old install. That's about when
people start thinking seriously about getting a Mac.

-Dave Walton